Rules and Guidelines
- Contest begins June 2, 2014 and will run through July 3, 2014.
- The purpose of this contest is to expose our youth to the excitement of photography through the unique aspects of Brownsville.
- Registration forms may be completed online at the Brownsville Public Library website, www.bpl.us.
- The contest will be divided into three age groups:
- six - nine
- ten - thirteen
- fourteen - seventeen.
- Winners will be announced on Friday, July 11, 2014 at the Southmost Branch Library during the Awards Ceremony at 4:00 p.m
- First, second, third and honorable mention prizes will be awarded per age group.
- First place will receive a $50 gift card from BestBuy
- Second place will receive a $30 gift card from BestBuy
- Third place will receive a $20 gift card from BestBuy
- Honorable mention will receive a $10 gift card from Best Buy
- Best in Show (selected from previous winners) will be awarded a Sony Digital Camera and accessories.
- Entries will be displayed at the library.
- The participant must be between the ages of six and seventeen.
- The participant must have a library card and not owe any fees or fines.
- The participant must not be related to a Brownsville Public Library System employee or member of the photography judging panel.
- All entries must be the participant’s own work and have been taken between June 2, 2014 and July 3, 2014.
- All entries must be taken within the city of Brownsville, Texas.
- All entries become the property of the Brownsville Public Library System.
- Cameras will not be provided by the Brownsville Public Library System.
- All entries must be submitted online. The photo file name must include the picture title and participant name.
Example: Doe_John_A Beautiful Day
- No photographs depicting commercial representation as their primary subject and/or reproduction of copyright material or trademarks will be accepted.
- Any photographs depicting violence, nudity, profanity, and/or lewd gestures will be automatically disqualified from this contest.
- Implementing special effects or manipulating the images of photographs will be grounds for disqualification.
- Entries will be judged on content that includes story and the moment.
- Entries will be judged on technique that includes exposure, focus, sharpness and depth of field, color and tone, contrast and lighting.
- Entries will be judged on visual and aesthetic criteria that includes framing and viewpoint, background, design elements and principle, photographic arrangement, and visual impact.
- Entries will be judged on general characteristics that include originality, insight, context and style.